Rudy - 127653
Potential adopter interest and possible rescue interest
Fearful and anxious
- **UPDATE #2** 2/12 Rudy is now considered critically urgent; We are unable to continue to adequately provide for Rudy given his fear level and behavior; We are now asking for rescue assistance that he be pulled within the next 72 hours; If he is not pulled within 72 hours, we may, unfortunately, need to make a difficult decision regarding Rudy?s future.
- **UPDATE #1** 2/12 Severe fear observed today despite increase in anxiolytics and enrichment, hiding in back of kennel, dilated pupils, tail fully tucked, attempted to toss treats and appeared startled, climbed up wall to retreat; No improvement with current treatment plan; Walk board noted volunteers are unable to remove him from the kennel safely/humanely, spent time tossing treats; No additional anxiolytic increases can be made after today's dose adjustment.
- Rudy is a 2 year old neutered male Pit type dog, 65 lbs.
- He seems to want to interact and play but is very anxious here.
- He seems housebroken.
- Rudy is rescue only due to behavior; He continues to be significantly fearful and will hide in the back of his cage and growl when approached.
- Dog interaction: approached, head low, sniffed and allowed other dog to sniff, followed other dog around sniffing, no play, no aggression but did show interest.
- His stray time is up so he can leave at any time.
Vet Notes: 2/05 Medical assistant went to remove for exam, uncomfortable removing from kennel, moderate stress signaling, low growl, pupils dilated, ears back, flipping status to awaiting behavior to allow additional time to decompress prior to reattempting full exam.
2/07Medical assistant went to remove from kennel, severely fearful, tail tucked, dilated pupils, low growl. Starting anxiolytics, plan to reattempt exam tomorrow.
1. Trazodone 100 mg PO BID
2/08 Young adult male intact pit bull type mix. Medical assistant reported significantly frantic in kennel run, seeking escape, moderate stress signaling. Able to leash and immediately darting towards doors, tail tucked. Entered clinic panting, fearful, tail tucked. Food motivated. Took time, sprayed adaptil, able to complete majority of exam.
MM pink, CRT not performed due to fear level, BCS 5/9; EENT: Teeth - adult present, white, no significant staining/tartar observed, ears/eyes/nose - wnl; CV: nsf, no murmur ausculted, femoral pulses not palpated; Resp: panting; Integument: focal area of alopecia to hypotrichosis left lateral abdomen, not able to scrape today due to significance of fear level; Abdomen: no palpation due to behavior; Ortho: ambulatory x 4, symmetrical muscling, gait wnl; Urogenital: neutered.
1. Trazodone 200 mg PO BID
2. Gabapentin 300 mg PO BID
3. Kong PO SID (am) x 7 d
4. Cephalexin 750 mg PO BID x 10 d
5. Bravecto 1,000 mg PO once
Flipping status back to awaiting behavior retest and adding to walk board, no forward aggression observed, frantic. Recommend offering to rescue while back ward volunteers and behavior team continues to work with. Will need hwt/rabies/skin scrape prior to move up to adoption floor.
2/12 Severe fear observed today despite increase in anxiolytics and enrichment, hiding in back of kennel, dilated pupils, tail fully tucked, attempted to toss treats and appeared startled, climbed up wall to retreat. No improvement with current treatment plan. Walk board noted volunteers unable to remove from kennel safely/humanely, spent time tossing treats.
1. Trazodone 200 mg PO TID
No additional anxiolytic increases can be made after today's dose adjustment. Discussed with behavioral staff, currently psychologically suffering in this setting. Must be pulled within 72 hours unless significant improvements observed - will continue to work with Rudy while awaiting rescue.
Breed: Pit Bull
Date of Birth (estimated): 02/2017
Interested in rescuing this dog? Email our Rescue Contact.
If you would like medical notes, please contact us.
« Back to List